"It's only through writing that I've ever been able to suppress life's personal disappointments. When I can't write I feel anxious and out of sorts and am easily riled, though I'm usually able to control my emotions..."
- Pramoedya Ananta Toer (The Mute's Soliloquy: A Memoir)
["Hanya dengan menulis aku mampu menekan segala kekecewaan peribadi hidup. Bila aku tidak menulis, aku merasa cemas & tidak keruan serta mudah gusar, walau selalunya aku bisa mengawal emosiku..."]

Thursday, December 30, 2010

PROMO KOMIK: EMPTINESS... WHEN IT BREAKS

There were many who asked me "Was it easy to start plotting a comic story?" & most of the time I would answer them "Only if I'm excited to draw it.". But most of the time, the only difficult part to draw a comic is looking at a blank paper & imagine how to start the plot. For example, this plot I took from my upcoming release based on Igniz's story titled 'When It Breaks More than It Should'. Early morning I had to wonder how to draw a vase that is on crash momentum. It took me half an hour looking at the blank white paper without a start with the tip of my mechanical pencil. Then I said to myself...

"Your... let the moment begin! The more you ponder at the blank space, the more you will hesitate to start something. Stop imagining it, just put the tip of the pencil lid on the paper & starts tracing! Your imagination will leads you spontaneously. There's no way you could overcome the blank without at least draw a line. As long you don't let the blank controls you, a line will at least shows you a start... then your imagination will becomes a reality, if you believe enough."

True indeed! When I draw, I seldom look for references (take so much of my time to search for it!), so it was not easy for me to draw momentum of a broken vase. But I didn't want to give up myself looking at an empty space forever, so I started drew a line... finally, here it is! Maybe not as good as how professional comic artist (I assumed myself not yet) did it, but at least it got me somewhere, from nothing to something... as long you don't let the blank moment drives you away. ^_^

No comments: