"It's only through writing that I've ever been able to suppress life's personal disappointments. When I can't write I feel anxious and out of sorts and am easily riled, though I'm usually able to control my emotions..."
- Pramoedya Ananta Toer (The Mute's Soliloquy: A Memoir)
["Hanya dengan menulis aku mampu menekan segala kekecewaan peribadi hidup. Bila aku tidak menulis, aku merasa cemas & tidak keruan serta mudah gusar, walau selalunya aku bisa mengawal emosiku..."]

Thursday, January 19, 2012

IT'S HOW I DRAW LOVE STORY

Frankly speaking, drawing a lot of comics for love story can be a boring trip if you are the type of person who is unfashionable. Even though you have a lot of love inside of you, but drawing love story, beside showing the right emotion, you've got to love fashion too. If not, your love story is considered a boring journey. So I got lucky because there was a trip in my life that I was adorned by the fashion world—from street to couture which has given an advantage to my comic drawing. Now, let me share with you guys how I develop fashion & emotion in my love story...

  1. What you wear on your head is how you lift up your confident. Either with our without accessories, bold or with hair, each character cannot simply tolerate the same style. Therefore, it's my job to deliver my character's head-style to define their characteristic. 
  2. In love, eyes play the biggest role for main characters. To my point of view, people who are in love always have bright eyes in showing how light up they are with life! So, it is important for me to always draw eyes that spark beautifully for each other. 
  3. Smiling, laughing, talking, sighing or hating can be interpret slightly with your mouth. Be very cautious if you want to draw the figure of your character's mouth, make sure it goes right with their emotional thought. Failed to do so might mislead the readers of their true feeling. 
  4. Accessories & jeweleries is another part of fashion that may translate how each character define their own uniqueness. As an artist, it's my job to creatively create my own creation of accessories & jeweleries (unless there's famous brand likes to sponsor this comic). 
  5. Clothes can be the most headache choice of wardrobe for my characters. I'm not really good with my own wardrobe. Though I have quite a lot of branded clothes in my collection, I usually ended up wearing nothing but t-shirt & jeans (or nothing at home... just kidding!). Seriously, in my experience, I have to push my creativity to an extended limit just to design my character with a perfect clothing... which most of the time ended up considerate than perfect. 
  6. You know what, drawing love story plays a lot with character's postures & one part of the body that delivers certain aspect of emotion is the hands—how it touches the other character with so much love, how the fingers string to the air or how it caresses the love one—make sure the readers have the right to feel the same with their hands. 
  7. Last but not least is the environment. Sometimes to much things in the background will drown the exact emotion of the characters. Therefore, always be very careful of how you blend your characters performance with the background you're about to draw. Don't go overboard! Sometimes, plain is better... 

Personally, your own feeling plays a bigger role on how you draw your character. To me, without the right feeling, I can never perform my drawing exactly the way I want it. So I need to have an experience to get the right feeling. Sometimes, I need to be cruel just because I want to experience the feel... the thing we call SACRIFICE — what I mean is read a lot of love stories, listen to a lot of love songs & watch a lot of love movies. ^_^"

4 comments:

Mohd K. Anuar said...

Bro, bila nak buat komik ala2 Feel100%? huhu

Fakhrul Anour said...

Huhu... ala2 panjang cam Feel 100% tu takderlah kot. tapi plan nak komikkan novel 'CINTA TUNGGAL' tu ada, insya-Allah. ^_^

wonderfulgirl said...

Bro, bole x nk bli novel cinta tunggal? Carik kt bookstore x jmpe dh.. Please.. I boleh bank in u the payment :(

Fakhrul Anour said...

Boleh order kat laman web Gempak Starz ni... ^_^

http://www.gempakstarz.com/products_novel_details.php?id=62